The building was constructed in 1895 as the shop and offices for Henry Bloomfield and his sons James and Charles who were leading stained glass artisans in Vancouver. Some of their more notable commissions include the windows in the Parliament Buildings in Victoria and the outstanding stained glass window at Gabriola,' the B.T. Rogers home at 1523 Davie Street.
James Bloomfield was also responsible for designing the coat of arms for the City of Vancouver in 1903. The Bloomfield family resided in the house next to the studio at the corner of Columbia and 10th Avenue.