Architect: William Bell and Sons, Brandon
1893 and 1905
The house was built for George A. Paterson in l893 by Brandon's William Bell and Sons. l039 Louise Avenue is a splendid example of the Eastlake style of architecture, which is characterized by an abundance of ornamentation produced by the chisel, gouge and lathe. Elaborately turned posts, curved brackets and spindle work are found in the handsome verandah and tower balcony. The gables are adorned with bargeboard and decorated with a semicircle of knobs and designs cut into wood.
Renovations in l904 doubled the size of the house. A stained glass window called "Listening," made by Winnipeg glass artist John Allward, was added to the second floor landing, circa l904. The house was later owned by Norman A. Matheson.