The Village of St. Brieux has a rich Francophone heritage. The town was settled in 1904 by about 40 Breton (Brittany) families from St-Brieuc (sic), France, led by Father Le Floc'h. They made their way from France to Halifax, and then to Prince Albert, finally settling the present town site.
The French families sailed from St-Malo, the same port from which Jacques Cartier departed on his famous voyages of discovery beginning in 1534.
Locals generally pronounce the name of the town (and church) in an Anglicized manner: "St Broo."